A proposed housing scheme in Crewkerne will provide essential homes for young families and improve local roads.

Permission to build up to 150 homes on land off Lang Road, Crewkerne, was granted earlier this year and now development land specialists Greenslade Taylor Hunt are selling the residential site on the southern fringe of Crewkerne.

The scheme will provide a mix of open market and affordable homes. Of the 53 affordable dwellings, the majority, 80%, will be social rented and the remaining 20% will be intermediate.

The site is abutted to the north by an existing housing estate. Initially the application was turned down on highways and access matters.

In granting the application, on appeal, the Planning Inspector, Mr S Rennie, said: “It is clear to me from the evidence provided that there is a housing need within the area, with mention also within the council evidence that there has been a lack of delivery of housing schemes within Crewkerne.”

“Furthermore, the site is adjacent to the edge of this town, which from my observations has a good selection of shops and services.”

A new junction and access to the site via Lang Road will be created. A pedestrian railway crossing will also be stopped up before work commences to improve public safety.

As part of the terms of the permission, the developer will be expected to make substantial contributions - £1,636,080 – towards education, footpath improvements and a play area.

The site off Lang Road, Crewkerne, extends to 38.06 acres (15.40 hectares.)

The deadline for the submission of offers is 12 noon on Friday, 27th November 2020. For more information and to arrange a viewing please contact Mark Chugg MRICS on 01823 219993 or James Nelson MRICS on 01823 334466.