Can you sum up your placement year in a sentence?
The placement position has enabled me to build a strong network within the firm alongside direct access to a wide range of knowledge essential to my professional development.
Why did you choose GTH to do your placement year?
My first two years studying Rural Enterprise and Land Management at Harper Adams University demonstrated that to become a successful Rural Surveyor, you must be a genuine expert within all fields – this has so far included being able to communicate with all walks of people at the livestock market at 6am on a Saturday! I therefore decided to pursue a placement position within a firm that offered a diverse range of services and expertise alongside being well recognised within the rural sector.
Day-to-day, what have you been up to on your placement year?
The work placement year has provided a fantastic opportunity to apply technical knowledge learned in the first two years of study to genuine ‘day to day’ management and issues within the rural industry. The practical experience has enabled me to begin working towards my elected APC competencies associated with the RICS rural pathway. Through a work based learning approach I have been actively involved with the following:
- Farm Agency through the collective land and property auctions
- Planning Applications for a range of agricultural developments
- RICS Red Book valuations
- Countryside Stewardship and Capital Grant applications
- Auctioneering at Sedgemoor Auction Centre and Walford Cross machinery sale
- Producing plans and drawings using Auto-cad software
- Meeting current and prospective clients at agricultural shows
- Creation of Farm Business Tenancy agreements and management of Agricultural Holdings Act tenancies.
With the work equally as diverse as the characters and colleagues in the office, I can say overall I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with GTH. The level of involvement within each area of rural business has exceeded my expectations and supplied a solid foundation for completion of my degree and professional qualifications in the near future. From my experiences, I believe the graduate programme offered at GTH presents fantastic scope for anybody wishing to pass their APC at the earliest opportunity.
See more information about our graduate opportunities.