At a glance
- GTH were instructed to provide planning and architectural services to obtain full planning permission for the conversion of a redundant traditional barn in the Blackdown Hills to residential use
- GTH initial held pre-application enquiries with the Local Planning Authority who supported the principle of converting the barn to residential use;
- GTH then appointed a team of consultants to undertake the topographical and measured building survey and structural survey and to assist with ecology;
- GTH then provided both planning and architectural services to prepare the proposed plans for the development and to submit the planning application;
- GTH then worked with the planning officer to secure full planning permission for the conversion.
Mr S appointed GTH to provide planning and architectural services to secure full planning permission to convert a redundant agricultural building to residential use.
The barn is of traditional construction situated within the Blackdown Hills AONB. GTH along with the appointed surveyors and ecologists proceeded to prepare the full planning application in support of the conversion. GTH’s lead architect, prepared the plans for the conversion showing a two storey detached dwelling with four bedrooms. The Councils Historic Environment Officer noted that the building subject to the conversion is a historic agricultural building known as a Linhay. They further commented that these buildings are peculiar to Devon and represent a dwindling stock of historic agricultural buildings which are no longer suited to modern farming practices. The officer supported the conversion as the works would ensure the continued survival of the Linhay in an altered form. The Planning Officer also supported the proposed conversion and approved the application. We were delighted to be able to assist our client. This is a fantastic opportunity for a developer to convert the site to a high quality family home within a wonderful setting.
How Can We Help?
If you are wishing to sell or develop your residential, agricultural or commercial land and buildings, you can rely on the expertise of our development land, planning and architecture & design teams.